RandR version 1.2 revisited

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Sep 14 23:13:36 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-15 at 13:23 +1000, Graeme Gill wrote:

>  From my perspective, this doesn't address DDC/CI concerns at all -
> getting the EDID passively doesn't help much, because what I want
> to be able to do is to communicate with the monitor using DDC/CI, so
> that I can set the monitor controls (brightness, contrast, etc.),
> to set a calibration condition.

> Now I can quite understand this probably falls outside the anticipated
> scope of RandR, and maybe it is better left to a latter revision,
> or some other extension, but I thought I would at least flag it
> in peoples thoughts.

Yeah, I think we've got enough functionality for version 1.2. If we are
going to have this kind of communication visible to applications, it
might be nice to wrap it up in a pretty package instead of exposing them
to raw monitor communications.

Please feel free to work out the details of what you'd like and we can
look at including them in future RandR versions.

keith.packard at intel.com