RandR version 1.2 revisited

Graeme Gill graeme2 at argyllcms.com
Thu Sep 14 22:28:35 PDT 2006

Adam Jackson wrote:

> I'm aware of DDC/CI.  DI-EXT even has a bit to note if it's supported.  I'm
> happy to hook it up but that's probably creeping beyond what we want to
> accomplish with this rev of RANDR.

I understand.

 > I definitely don't want to see DDC/CI
> done outside of X (anymore).  While X is running, it owns the display.

I agree, which is why I thought I'd bring it up. The only *nix style
packages I'm aware of that allow DDC/CI communication are things
like DDCControl <http://sourceforge.net/projects/ddccontrol>,
and lm-sensors <http://www.lm-sensors.org/>, which both seem
independent of X11, and are therefore hard to co-ordinate with
display configuration and activity, as well as possibly not
being present on systems that X11 is installed on.

Graeme Gill.