Call for volunteers: Next X.org Developer's Conference, early 2007

Stuart Kreitman Stuart.Kreitman at Sun.COM
Tue Sep 12 13:28:38 PDT 2006

Keith Packard wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 10:53 -0700, Stuart Kreitman wrote:
>

>>Well, at first approximation, yes.  I do have better events coordination
>>support from Sun this time around, so there's some flexibility.  Are you
>>proposing we host it in the Arctic?  How's the weather that time of year?
>

> To first order, I don't care where it is; it was a great conference last
> year, and I'll be there again this year. However, someplace with decent
> weather would be preferred; SJC may suck in many ways, but at least it
> rarely sees snow.
>
> If we want to try and pair up with LCA, we'd best move quickly; they're
> rather far along in their scheduling process. The other obvious option
> is FOSDEM; we would just arrange a meeting before the FOSDEM weekend.
> Logistics for that would be 'interesting'. At least the food would be
> decent.

The downside of piggybacking with another conference is dilution of
attention. One great feature of the X.org D.C. is in its intense focus.
  Also, having a US && a European (or elsewhere) event gives our global
community more, not fewer, face to face opportunities.

So, last year, we did have 2 conferences if you count FOSDEM, not to
mention that a lot of people convened in Brazil soon after.  The X
attendance at FOSDEM was smaller, but perhaps this year Luc can feel
more ambitious as well.  I would like to see his event grow too.

Stuart