[Xf_board] Re: Nominations for X.Org Foundation Board of Directors are OPEN

Egbert Eich eich at suse.de
Thu Sep 7 03:47:01 PDT 2006

Stuart Anderson writes:
 > On Mon, 4 Sep 2006, Keith Packard wrote:
 >
 > > There's a fundemental problem here; membership has been closed for a
 > > long time, making getting candidates and voters difficult. When will
 > > this issue be resolved? I can't see holding elections with the
 > > membership issues still open.
 >
 > The membership system will be made available in a matter of days.
 > Everyone should have the opportunity to join or renew their membership
 > by the end of the nomination period, which also qualifies them to vote.

Please let me point out some issues here again:

1. Since the membership registration has been closed for such a long time
   there is no requirement for a minimum membership for this election.

   (Please also note that the minimum membership requirement that was
   planned for the bylaws to be adopted has been under debate on the
   list discussion the bylaw draft. Thus the board discussed the issue
   and came up with a different solution. Kevin Martin posted a proposal
   for a change to the bylaw list).

2. Since the interface for membership registration is been put in place
   it is not required to be a member at the time of the nomination but
   at the time the election starts.
   Therefore: if you think you or somebody else would be a good candidate
   for the board please don't hesitated to nominate this person - regardless
   if this person is member or not!

3. It has been pointed out in the announcement but it's worthwhile
   mentioning this again: unlike in the previous elections there is
   no need for self nominations!
   If you think someone ought to run for the board you may nominate
   this person.

4. There is the expectancy that if you accept a nomination you will
   participate in the board activeties.
   However I don't agree with the announcement that there is the expectency
   that you will have to participate in weekly telephone conferences:
   Every board can fix its own procedures. This includes the way how
   communication of the board is done. Nothing in the the By-Laws
   prescribes that communication is done in weekly telephone conferences.

   Therefore: if you feel you cannot participate in such conferences
   for whatever reasons but you feel you can otherwise contribute some
   time to board business (for the sort of business that the board has
   dealt with in the past please consult the summaries I have been
   publishing at http://wiki.x.org/wiki/BodMinutes (1)) don't let this
   keep you from running for the board!!

Cheers,
	Egbert.

(1) The term 'minutes' is not correct. The page carries this name
because it was (accidentally) create under this name. Maybe it
should be rename in the wiki to 'summaries').