server-1.2-branch accidentally merged with master

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at sun.com
Tue Oct 10 13:03:12 PDT 2006

Carl Worth wrote:
> How 'bout that. The update-ref command is one I've never used
> manually. I likely would have done the above as follows, which might
> be a touch simpler:
>
>   # checkout the branch to be manipulated
>   $ git checkout server-1.2-branch
>
>   # save a ref to the bad branch tip
>   $ git tag keepme
>
>   # reset the branch back to where it should be
>   $ git reset --hard b8596aff00afa8b2641f46d14aca444ce712ccc0
>
>   # see if things look sane
>   $ gitk HEAD master
>
>   # if so, get rid of the temporary ref to the branch tip
>   $ git tag -d keepme
>
>   # if not, restore the bad branch tip and ask a git grown-up :-)
>   $ git reset --hard keepme

I tried all that, and it seems to have worked in my copy, but won't
let me push to the master on fd.o - do I need someone with fd.o
admin privs to do this there?

error: remote 'refs/heads/server-1.2-branch' is not a strict subset of local ref
'refs/heads/server-1.2-branch'. maybe you are not up-to-date and need to pull first?

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com