Xorg & Radeon problem

Roland Scheidegger rscheidegger_lists at hispeed.ch
Tue Nov 21 09:51:21 PST 2006

Robert Zelic wrote:
> Hello ,
>
> I have Slackware 11, ATI Radeon 9250, Xorg 6.9.0, KDE 3.5.4 Sometimes
>  on the titlebar and on the bottom of window appear horisontal dashes
>  and verical dashes in konsole, at the end of some lines. It usually
> happens after I restore a minimized window, or passive window becomes
>  active. But I don't know if it is a problem of xorg or KDE has bugs.

Sounds like a radeon driver bug. Might be fixed in a newer one...

> Also there is no direct rendering. I have found a driver at Ati's
> site, fglrx in rpm format, but it is made for xorg 6.8.0. There is a
>  driver for several xorg versions too. It is 52MB, but I can't
> download it because I have a slow dial-up connection. If fglrx could
> work with my version of xorg, it would be great. Or maybe there is a
> partial solution with mesa?
I can't see anything wrong in the log file, looks to me like you simply
don't have dri enabled (you need Load "dri" in your xorg.conf Module
section)
If you want to use fglrx, the 52MB package indeed will work with xorg
6.9, however, for radeon 9250, only old versions do (up to 8.28.8).

> I've atached xorg log to this mail, and here is glxinfo and glxgears
>  output, too. I appreciate if someone can help, or refer me to other
> place were I can get help.
if you don't get direct rendering, try LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo.
However, as long as xorg log file says direct rendering is disabled,
this won't provide much information.

Roland