java apps troubles with composite manager

Torgeir Veimo torgeir at pobox.com
Tue Nov 21 09:35:09 PST 2006

When running with a composite manager, java applications start up with a
white screen. If the java app is started before the composite manager,
then it runs as normal even after the composite manager is started.

Also, with a composite manager, mouse input events seems to be shifted
horizontally to the right when using popup windows. I assume Java is
trying to be too smart about window positions.

Obviously these are bugs that Sun needs to address, but I was wondering
if anyone know of a workaround. I tried the obvious

export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1

and other stuff mentioned here:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Xorg_X11_and_Transparency#Troubleshooting
with no results.

I thought about turning off double buffering in java, but am not sure
how to do that system wide using properties. This is with jdk1.6.0rc
released today.

--
Torgeir Veimo <torgeir at pobox.com>