i965 textured video crash

Jeffrey K. jeff250 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 15:21:33 PST 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 19:57 +0100, Luca Dionisi wrote:

> No, I was wrong. It is not slow. It uses hw accel. for sure
> since my cpu is idle.
> But it does artifacts when I move window. And when I rotate
> the cube it remains where it is. The video window has no 3d
> effects, I mean it is a normal rectangular area, no perspective,
> ... well I hope I was clear. :)
> As an example I attach a picture... will the mailing list
> allow this?

Once I reordered the xv adapter list in the driver so that the textured
video adapter is used instead of the overlay one, I've discovered the
same issue with my i915 when using compiz.  This is with version 1.7.2
of the driver (with the aforementioned modification), Mesa 6.5.1, Xorg
7.1.1, and compiz using AIGLX.

Now, I wasn't really expecting it to work correctly with compiz, but I
can't even get textured video to work correctly with plain old metacity
and 'xcompmgr -c'.  It doesn't leave artifacts when I move windows like
it does with compiz, but video is rendered on top of all other windows,
even if they are supposed to overlap the video.  I've attached a
screenshot that demonstrates this.  Since textured video is supposed to
help with compositing, this certainly doesn't seem like expected
behavior.

Everything seems to work as expected when no compositing of any sort is
used though.

Anyone have any advice?  Thanks.
Jeff