nVidia Quadro NVS 440 Freezes

James Wiggs wiggs at wiggs.org
Tue May 30 19:36:35 PDT 2006

 Folks,

   I've got a debian etch box with a dual-core Athlon64 CPU.
The motherboard is an ASUS A8N-SLI, and I've got a single PNY
Quadro NVS 440 PCI Express x16 card installed.  Running the
current X.org for etch, 6.9, installed just this past week.
I downloaded and installed the binary driver from nVidia and
configured my xorg.conf file using the nvidia-xconfig utility
to drive the four heads in Xinerama mode as a merged desktop.

   The system is completely unstable.  X will not run for
more than a few minutes before it freezes completely, taking
no input from keyboard or mouse.  I can log in via SSH over
the network, and running top I see Xorg taking 99.9% of one
core on the CPU.  I have to do a kill -9 to get my screen
back.

   Does anyone have an example of a working xorg.conf file
for a similar setup?  I realize this is not a commonly used
piece of equipment, and finding support has not been easy.
I'm happy to post log output if anyone thinks it would be
useful, but I actually don't get anything substantial in
/var/log/Xorg.0.log beyond the initialization output.  The
thing doesn't seem to put out any log output once the race
or freeze or whatever it is begins.  Any suggestions on how
I might get better log output are very welcome, as well.

thanks,
Jim