Black screen in Dell Inspiron 700m under 640x480 resolution

Stanislav Sedov stas at 310.ru
Thu May 25 04:17:07 PDT 2006

On Wed, 24 May 2006 13:20:16 EDT, Dario Oliva wrote:
> I was booting up a Dell Inspiron 700m laptop with a bootable CD that
> I have. The CD boots into X-window and tries to use 640x480 resolution.
> With this laptop, I got a black screen. After hitting ctr-alt-backspace
> to kill
> the X-server, I looked inside the log file and found no listed errors.
>
> The graphics chipset on the board is an Intel 82852/82855.
>
> The reason I am trying to use 640x480 is because that is the resolution
> I use
> at boot time to run bootsplash. If I use a different resolution when X
> comes up,
> there is a period of about 2-3 seconds when the screen flickers and gets
> some
> weird lines across. That is why I am trying to use the same resolution
> throughout.
>
> Any suggestions on where to go from here?

What version of Xorg you are using? Try to download and test recent version.
Maybe your adapter isn't propely supported by this version.

Additionally you can try to disable DRI by commenting out "Option "DRI"
"disabled"" in xorg.conf or play with MonitorLayout option (i810(4)) (try to
set it to "LFP,CRT" for example).

--
Stanislav Sedov         MBSD labs, Inc.         <ssedov at mbsd.msk.ru>
Россия, Москва		http://mbsd.msk.ru

If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.  -- A. Einstein
PGP fingerprint:  F21E D6CC 5626 9609 6CE2  A385 2BF5 5993 EB26 9581