detecting # of monitors on dualhead gfx card

Jacob Zachariah jacob_z at yahoo.com
Wed May 24 11:56:01 PDT 2006

Hi,
I'm running Redhat Linux 7.3 on my target, with an
nVidia GeForceFX5200 dualhead graphics card and nVidia
drivers 76.76)

When i start X, it figures out how many monitors are
plugged into the card & sizes the display accordingly.
I think it may be using the nvidia.o, nvidia_drv.o
modules for that determination.

In /var/log/Xorg.0.log, it prints out the number of
monitors correctly.

(II) NVIDIA(0): Connected display devices(s): CRT-0,
CRT-1
(--) NVIDIA(0): CRT-0: maximum pixel clock : 350 Mhz
(--) NVIDIA(0): CRT-1: maximum pixel clock : 350 Mhz

In the single monitor run, the CRT-1 was absent.

But for my purposes, on bootup & before X is started,
i have to find out how many monitors are plugged into
the card & run my programs accordingly. Starting X
will be *after* the monitors are detected.

I don't believe I can use the NV-CONTROL extension as
that needs X & i won't have X running at that point.

How would I find out the number of monitor present?
Would there be some way to use nvidia.o nvidia_drv.o
/dev/nvidia* to get that information?

Thanks in advance