Self appointed censors

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Sun May 21 09:42:11 PDT 2006

On 5/21/06, Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:
> On Saturday 20 May 2006 23:06, Jon Smirl wrote:
> > It would be nice if the article was restored to it's normal URL at
> > http://people.freedesktop.org/~jonsmirl/graphics.html so that the
> > linked web pages will work. The article has also been cited in
> > multiple papers. If the 'unfreedesktop' can't make that happen I have
> > posted a copy here: http://jonsmirl.googlepages.com/graphics.html
>
> Ah, so in the nine months since publicly hissy-fitting away from X, you've
> finally found alternative hosting.  Hooray, you win an apache Redirect line.
>
> people.fd.o is not, and has never been, intended as permanent archival space.

This is censorship since articles from other authors are hosted there.
This behavior has been specifically directed at me simply for
expressing my views. After I initially wrote the article my accounts
at fd.o were unilaterally terminated over my strenuous objections 14
days after my last commit for 'inactivity'. If this same standard were
applied to other participants everyone's account would be delete for
'inactivity' and no article would be available at fd.o.

I truly regret wasting two years of my life trying to help advance
graphics on the Linux desktop. I hope that other developers can see
what the reaction will be if they say something that the admins
disagree with.

If you had half a brain you could see that the article has done a lot
for graphics by educating thousands of people on how their desktop
works. Instead you chose to focus on a couple of minor points that you
disagree with and then try to suppress the article.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com