Self appointed censors

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Sat May 20 20:06:45 PDT 2006

I see now that the "State of Linux Graphics" article was taken down as
a result of it being posted to digg.com.
http://digg.com/linux_unix/The_State_of_Linux_Graphics

Searching in google I can also see that about 1,000 web pages are
linked to it.

Several weeks of effort went in to writing the article and the input
of over 25 reviewers was incorporated. Obviously the article does not
reflect the current state of Linux graphics, but it is clearly dated
as to when it was written. The bulk of the article does contain a
great deal of information that many people have found useful.
Volunteers have even translated it into four languages.

I am truly disappointed in behavior of freedesktop.org staff in
regards to this article. This self appointed censorship behavior has
occurred multiple times. Acting as a manager and given these multiple
events, I would fire the employee on the spot. Censorship is clearly
not within the ideals of the free software movement.

It would be nice if the article was restored to it's normal URL at
http://people.freedesktop.org/~jonsmirl/graphics.html so that the
linked web pages will work. The article has also been cited in
multiple papers. If the 'unfreedesktop' can't make that happen I have
posted a copy here: http://jonsmirl.googlepages.com/graphics.html

Free software gets it's life from donations, in my view the wisest
course is to graciously accept all gifts and then find the nugget of
gold in each one.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com