Graphics Driver Frameworks and Security

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Thu May 18 12:02:59 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 11:09 -0700, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 17, 2006 5:31 pm, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> > Not yet, but we're working on it.   Solaris isn't the last
> > Xorg-supported OS without DRI/DRM support though, so even once we're
> > there, others will not be.
>
> Maybe they can just use the framebuffer then.  Letting the drivers assume
> DRM would vastly simplify most of them, and given X.org's (lack of)
> developer resources that's an important point to consider...

The DRM, and AGP usually, is also another complicated and failure-prone
chunk of software.  It's really nice to be able to tell people to
disable DRI and get a working system until you can fix it for full
functionality.  And if you don't think think they're failure-prone, go
hang out in #dri for a few days ;)

I certainly wouldn't remove non-DRM support in any driver I was
maintaining.

--
Eric Anholt                             anholt at FreeBSD.org
eric at anholt.net                         eric.anholt at intel.com