Graphics Driver Frameworks and Security

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Thu May 18 11:09:03 PDT 2006

On Wednesday, May 17, 2006 5:31 pm, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Not yet, but we're working on it.   Solaris isn't the last
> Xorg-supported OS without DRI/DRM support though, so even once we're
> there, others will not be.

Maybe they can just use the framebuffer then.  Letting the drivers assume
DRM would vastly simplify most of them, and given X.org's (lack of)
developer resources that's an important point to consider...

DRM enabled OSs:
  FreeBSD
  Linux/*
  OpenBSD?
  Solaris (x86 & sparc) (soon)

Don't care?
  Mac OS X/Darwin
  Xwin (Cygwin/mingw port)

Non-DRM OSs:
  LynxOS
  SCO (OpenServer 5)
  System V
  USL (UnixWare 7.1.x, OpenServer 6)

And some of the non-DRM ones aren't even maintained, so we can't afford
to care about them anyway...

Besides, if they don't have DRM that must mean they don't really care
about 3D and therefore don't care about 2D accel that much either? :)

Jesse