window manager startup problem

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu May 18 09:25:57 PDT 2006

Paul Kaplan wrote:

> > > I'm trying to start icewm on a second console (opensuse 10.1) w/ the
> > > command startx -icewm --:1 and I'm met with the following error:
> >
> > man startx says to read man xinit, which says "Both the client program
> > name and the server program name must begin with a slash (/) or a period
> > (.). Otherwise, they are treated as an arguments to be appended to their
> > respective startup lines. "
> >
> > So you probably wanted to run
> >
> > startx /usr/bin/icewm -- :1
>
> This resulted in the same error.  If I omit the call to icewm (either way),
> this command opens a second X server running the default WM (KDE).

Try starting X without a WM, e.g.:

	startx /usr/bin/xterm -- :1

then running icewm manually from the xterm (possibly with --debug).

If the client command passed to startx terminates (or puts itself into
the background), the session is deemed to have terminated and xinit
will terminate the X server at that point.