setxkbmap program and rule files

Aleksej Struk astruk at gmail.com
Thu May 18 03:32:05 PDT 2006

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 10:45:43AM +0300, Daniel Stone wrote:
// On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 09:28:53PM +0000, Aleksej Struk wrote:
// > The main thing, that I noticed, when I compiled it on my own, that it does
// > not work, and fail to set model-layout-variant. It reported me and error,
// > that it cannot find a rules file "xorg". However, this was not the main
// > problem. After adjusting the source a little bit by directly pointing
// > a rules file (/usr/lib/X11/xkb/rules/xorg) this error disappeared. This
// > path is taken from the setxkbmap's man page.
// >
// > [...]
// >
// > The most mistirious fact for me, that first two atom in symbols (between
// > + signs) are prepended with the "pc/". The setxkbmap installed from the
// > packege do not prepend them with "pc/". So, I started to incestigate
// > why the package version of the program behaves correctly.
// >
// > Finaly, I found, that it used rules file via the following path :
// > /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules

// You have two completely different datasets, in two different locations,
// and it appears you have half of your stuff using one, and half using
// the other.  This will always fail.

Well, I understand this perfectly. But what can be the reason, that I
have two different datasets ? Can it be that the incorect dataset is left
from Xorg 6.x ?

//
// Cheers,
// Daniel