On configuration and things like xdevice.

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Tue May 16 10:59:56 PDT 2006

On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 11:35:36PM -0400, Zephaniah E. Hull wrote:
> There are still some areas that have not yet been specified, the most
> glaring of which is the question of how do you identify which
> driver/device you're talking to, but there are a few ways to deal with
> this.

One of those, is to just standardise on the key 'driver' to return a
string telling you which driver is being used.

> We are still undecided on the best way to give notification events to
> clients that settings have been changed, either by userspace or by the
> driver itself, but that's pretty much a given.

We could just overload the DevicePresenceNotify event, and either:
  a) add an _optional_ deviceid field to it, which has the following
     semantics:
       * if deviceid has a value, then that device has changed somehow,
       * if not, then the list has changed: a device has been
         added/removed.
  b) tell everyone to deal, and to have them rescan devices they're
     interested in on receiving a DPN.

Other than that, looks (belatedly) fine to me.

Cheers,
Daniel