Elo USB touchscreen occasionally fails on boot up

Edwards, Scott (GE Healthcare) J.Scott.Edwards at ge.com
Thu Mar 30 11:10:33 PST 2006

We are using an Elo USB touchscreen on our system, with the linux public driver downloaded from the Elotouch website http://www.elotouch.com/support/dnld.asp and Xorg 6.8.1, on WhiteBox (RedHat) Enterprise Linux 4.0.  Occasionally (maybe 1 in 25 or 1 in 40 times) the touchscreen has no response after the system boots up.  When this happens the touchpad on the keyboard still works just fine.

I don't see any error messages or anything else that looks suspicious to me in the Xorg.0.log file.  Doing a diff between a Xorg.0.log file that was bad and a good one the only differences are the time and the memory offsets.

One interesting thing, when the failure occurs, switching to a virtual terminal (Ctl-Alt-F1) and back (Ctl-Alt-F7) fixes it, the touchscreen works fine after that.

I added some info messages to various routines in the driver to see if I could see anything different there when the problem occurs and recompiled it.  However even on a running system none of my messages show up in the log file.  I assume that I am not doing log messages correctly.

Can anyone suggest how I can determine where the problem lies?  My guess is that either the USB device is not getting initialized correctly in the Linux kernel or there is something wrong in the input driver, is there a simple method for me to determine which one it is?

Thanks for any help
  -Scott