Overlay windows and backwards compatibility

Deron Johnson Deron.Johnson at Sun.COM
Thu Mar 23 16:00:47 PST 2006

The main reason why these extensions were added was to support composite
managers. Typically one usually always runs a composite manager for a
display locally.

But if an arbitrary application wishes to use the extensions on
an arbitrary display, it should check the version numbers of the
composite and/or xfixes extension to make sure that the version number
is big enough so that the desired requests will be supported. This is
standard X client practice. This type of version checking is often
done by the protocol extension library itself.

However, I notice that the Xfixes client library performs this
sort of version checking, converting unsupported routines into
no-ops. But I notice that the Composite client library doesn't
do any checking at all. When I added the new functions to the
Xfixes client library I made sure that XFixesHide/ShowCursor checked
the version number and simply returned if it wasn't 4.0 or greater.
But I didn't do this in the Composite client library because
version checking wasn't being done in any of the other functions.