Overlay windows and backwards compatibility

Donnie Berkholz spyderous at gentoo.org
Thu Mar 23 13:40:31 PST 2006

Hi all,

I've run into an issue today with how the overlay windows patches etc
work. Picture a situation where the client box has the new composite 0.3
and fixes 4.0, and its libXcomposite/libXfixes etc support the new
features. Now try running an application across the network on an X
server that doesn't support overlay windows.

Should this work, or should it be broken? I feel like there should be
some sort of check for whether overlay windows etc work, but currently
what happens is that GTK2 applications just crash with BadRequest
errors. The same would hold true for a local X server not supporting
overlay windows, which is where I actually ran into the problem, but the
above scenario seems more likely.

Thanks,
Donnie