Dealing with git

sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Fri Mar 17 23:22:45 PST 2006

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:29:59 -0800
Deron Johnson <Deron.Johnson at Sun.COM> wrote:

> I don't know much about git. But I need to update compositeproto and
> xfixesproto whose masters are stored in git. Can I use
> gitweb.freedesktop.org to check out and commit changes? Or is gitweb
> only informational?  I've tried to use git-clone to access
> git.freedesktop.org, as suggested by Josh Triplett, but I get
> an unknown host error.

gitweb is readonly.   To create a local copy of the remote repository
you can follow a little recipe based on the project name listed
in gitweb.

For instance, for the gitweb repository project named:

  xorg-proto-compositeproto

Change the dashes to slashes and prepend:

  git://git.freedesktop.org/git/

Thus, to clone yourself a copy of the repository using native git
rather than cogito, use:

  git clone git://git.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/proto/compositeproto

Or for another example the cairo repository:

  git clone git://git.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/cairo

HTH,
Sean