Performance Issues

Roland Scheidegger rscheidegger_lists at hispeed.ch
Thu Mar 16 10:18:58 PST 2006

Carsten Otto wrote:
> The game is openttd (www.openttd.org) in various versions, including
> latest SVN. To my knowledge they use SDL for graphics.
> Whenever I start this game the CPU usage of the X.org
> process goes to 50% (100% on one core) and the game is very slow (mouse
> lags, you can see and feel the game window updates, ...). This happens
> with fullscreen and windowed mode. The game itself does not use much CPU
> time. Starting the game in a 32bit chroot (with 64bit X.org) does not
> help.
>
> I can play the game without problems inside VMWare and Windows, although
> the very same X.org server is running (but the protocol is different I
> think).
You could try oprofile to see where all the time is spent, chances are
there are only very few functions where all cpu cycles are spent. That
said, if those functions are somewhere inside the binary nvidia driver
you're using then that's probably nvidia's problem. Maybe the game does
something slightly unusual not accelerated by the nvidia driver.

Roland