Performance Issues

Carsten Otto c-otto at gmx.de
Thu Mar 16 07:03:22 PST 2006

Hello!

Please tell me if this is not the right place for this kind of question.

(System specs below)

I have huge performance issues with a particular 2D-game. The developers
don't think this game is the problem and only X.org has the very high
CPU usage.

The game is openttd (www.openttd.org) in various versions, including
latest SVN. To my knowledge they use SDL for graphics.
Whenever I start this game the CPU usage of the X.org
process goes to 50% (100% on one core) and the game is very slow (mouse
lags, you can see and feel the game window updates, ...). This happens
with fullscreen and windowed mode. The game itself does not use much CPU
time. Starting the game in a 32bit chroot (with 64bit X.org) does not
help.

I can play the game without problems inside VMWare and Windows, although
the very same X.org server is running (but the protocol is different I
think).

Please tell me how I can find the problem and solve it.

Thanks a lot,
Carsten Otto

system specs and log files:

- Dual Core Opteron 175 (clocked at 2,57 GHz, each core with 1 MB Cache)
- Geforce 4 4600 with Dual DVI
- NVIDIA driver 8178
- 2 GB RAM
- Linux 2.6.15.6 (X86_64, SMP)
- Gentoo
- X.org 6.8.2-r6
- GCC 3.4.4
- compile flags: -O2 -pipe -march=athlon64
- X.org use flags: bitmap-fonts, ipv6, nls, opengl, xv
- two TFT screens with twinview
- X.org configuration file: http://home.c-otto.de/xorg.conf
- X.org logfile: http://home.c-otto.de/Xorg.0.log
--