Trying to get a 2 screen one display working.

Jon Bowman jon.bowman at bowmannet.us
Wed Mar 15 09:02:56 PST 2006

I am running Solaris with xorg 6.9  and a ATI Mobility 7500 graphics card.

In a previous version of xorg I had things setup where my laptop
monitor  and an
external monitor  were on a different screens but one display (:0.0 & :0.0).
Note these were not
xineramed. I could move the pointer between screens but not windows.
Also as
a point of note the 2 screens are different resolutions.

I hope the terminology is correct I am still trying to wrap my head
around some
of the X terminology.

I think around 6.9 it would seem; things broke for me and  can't get the
magic
incantation to work. The xorg.conf I had before causes a panic which
appears to be the result of having both

Screen

and

MonitorLayout

lines in the Device section.

(I attached the xorg.conf and the log from the system thats working on
xorg 6.8.99.903).

Basically its has  a ServerLayout that specifies Screen0 and Screen1
where Screen1
is on the RightOf Screen0.

(**) |-->Screen "Screen0" (0)
(**) |   |-->Monitor "Monitor0"
(**) |   |-->Device "Card0"
(**) |-->Screen "Screen1" (1)
(**) |   |-->Monitor "Monitor1"
(**) |   |-->Device "Card1"

Card0 and Card1 are the same physical graphics card (Radeon Mobility 9700).

If anyone has any suggestion on how to convert the existing xorg.conf to
6.9 I
would greatly appreciate it.

thanks
Jon