radeon pci ids in driver/xserver...

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Sun Mar 12 15:27:32 PST 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 22:42 +0100, Roland Scheidegger wrote:
>  > Log message:
>  > 2006-03-12  Benjamin Herrenschmidt  <benh at kernel.crashing.org>
>  > Stop using xf86PciInfo.h, instead use a local copy of the PCI IDs
>  > we need in atipciids.h so we can update the ATI driver independently
>  > of the server when new chips are added.

> So, does this mean the ids have to be added to both xf86PciInfo.h and
> atipciids.h now? Please tell me this ain't true. I'm not exactly sure
> though why the ids need to still be in xf86PciInfo.h too?

No, only atipciids.h. I didn't remove them from xf86PciInfo.h yet
because I intend to do so as a batch once all drivers are converted to
avoid issue where one driver that i missed may look for some ID from a
different vendor for whatever reason (like the radeon driver looking for
some DELL and AMD stuff etc...). Also I didn't have a good up to date
checkout of the server at hand yesterday and had to go :)

> For the record, here's a list of what files need to be touched for
> adding support for a single new radeon pci id (if the card is otherwise
> more or less identical to an existing one, i.e. no code changes
> required) for 2d and 3d driver (no guarantee for completeness, not
> including things like generic kernel pci info lists):
>
> dri/drm/shared-core/drm_pciids.txt
> mesa/src/mesa/drivers/dri/radeon/radeon_chipset.h
> mesa/src/mesa/drivers/dri/radeon/radeon_screen.c
> xorg/xserver/xorg/hw/xfree86/common/xf86PciInfo.h
> xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati/src/atichip.c
> xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati/src/atipciids.h
> xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati/src/radeon_chipset.h
> xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati/src/radeon_driver.c
> xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati/src/radeon_probe.c
>
> That's a lot of files for just adding a single pci id without any code...

I know and that can certainly be improved upon, right however, my goal
is only to remove the xf86PciInfo.h to break any xserver dependency on
building the driver with new IDs. We can surely work on something better
specific to the radeon driver & DRI module in a second step, like a
table if IDs with capabilities etc... or whatever...

Ben.