compiz on aiglx

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Thu Mar 9 13:21:02 PST 2006

Keith Packard wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 15:23 -0500, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
>
>> It sounds like Keith and Deron prefer the magic overlay window approach,
>> but I think this approach is simpler and a lot cleaner and it almost
>> already works, we just need the GLX_EXT_include_inferiors extension.
>> That should be pretty easy, though, as it just defines the
>> GLX_INCLUDE_INFERIORS_EXT token.
>
> I'm not that excited about the overlay window; it has advantages for
> Deron's code as he's using Java 3D which can't (ever?) draw to the root
> window. I argued for include inferiors + fbconfigs as the 'correct'
> solution and eventually gave up as Deron couldn't use that in any case.

I don't remember the details about Java 3D, but I'm assuming it will
need an update to expose the tfp extension, so maybe they could roll the
include inferiors bits into that too.

> I also didn't realize how little work it would be to add fbconfig and
> include inferiors support to drivers; if it's really that easy, it
> should be done in any case. We can then use either mechanism; the magic
> overlay window is 'free' inside the server as it leverages the existing
> support for magic screen saver windows.

Yeah, that's what I've been thinking, we could just do both; there's no
conflict and both solutions are pretty non-invasive.

Kristian