compiz on aiglx

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Mar 9 13:23:40 PST 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 15:23 -0500, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:

> It sounds like Keith and Deron prefer the magic overlay window approach,
> but I think this approach is simpler and a lot cleaner and it almost
> already works, we just need the GLX_EXT_include_inferiors extension.
> That should be pretty easy, though, as it just defines the
> GLX_INCLUDE_INFERIORS_EXT token.

I'm not that excited about the overlay window; it has advantages for
Deron's code as he's using Java 3D which can't (ever?) draw to the root
window. I argued for include inferiors + fbconfigs as the 'correct'
solution and eventually gave up as Deron couldn't use that in any case.

I also didn't realize how little work it would be to add fbconfig and
include inferiors support to drivers; if it's really that easy, it
should be done in any case. We can then use either mechanism; the magic
overlay window is 'free' inside the server as it leverages the existing
support for magic screen saver windows.

keith.packard at intel.com