AIGLX, metacity, nvidia and Xgl

Mike Russo miker at readq.com
Wed Mar 8 05:54:37 PST 2006

Matthias Hopf wrote:
> On Mar 07, 06 09:57:49 +1100, Daniel Kasak wrote:
>
>> David Reveman wrote:
>> I have recently installed Xgl and compiz successfully ( very impressive,
>> by the way ), but can only run compiz with Gnome. compiz clashes with
>> enlightenment-0.17 - they both want to manage windows. I went looking
>> for the old glxcompmgr, but apparently it won't work with later builds
>> of Xgl ( according to what I've read anyway ).
>>

> Maybe someone produces a stand-alone compositing manager in the future
> with less possible effects. Right now I think nobody is working on that.

You can still run the original xcompmgr with e17 if all you want is
transparency and
menu fade effects. I was doing so successfully for some time until I got
sick of the
 once-a-week crashes that occured with the binary nVidia driver (they
say they improved
stability in 8178 but it's still not the greatest).  You can also run it
with Xgl, although
I don't think it's properly accelerated, and I haven't tried
glxcompmgr.  I know Renderman doesn't
want to add compositing support until e18 but perhaps someone can write
a module for e17?

--
Mike Russo
ReadQ Systems, Inc.

Random quote of the last-time-I-ran-bash:
Labor, n.:
	One of the processes by which A acquires property for B.