AIGLX, metacity, nvidia and Xgl

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Wed Mar 8 03:49:10 PST 2006

On Mar 07, 06 09:57:49 +1100, Daniel Kasak wrote:
> David Reveman wrote:
> I have recently installed Xgl and compiz successfully ( very impressive,
> by the way ), but can only run compiz with Gnome. compiz clashes with
> enlightenment-0.17 - they both want to manage windows. I went looking
> for the old glxcompmgr, but apparently it won't work with later builds
> of Xgl ( according to what I've read anyway ).

Having split compositing / window manager is just not really possibile
for a number of reasons (David stated them in a rather long mail). At
least not if the composite manager is a bit more involved, like compiz
is.

Maybe someone produces a stand-alone compositing manager in the future
with less possible effects. Right now I think nobody is working on that.

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>       __        __   __
Maxfeldstr. 5 / 90409 Nuernberg    (_   | |  (_   |__         mat at mshopf.de