modular vs. drivers & PCI IDs

Roland Scheidegger rscheidegger_lists at hispeed.ch
Thu Mar 2 03:18:24 PST 2006

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> I just noticed that the radeon driver doesn't build unless you update
> your server install (and the headers) because it uses a new PCI ID and
> the PCI IDs file appears to be ... in the server (sic !)
>
> I find that disturbing with modular that one has to update the server to
> add PCI IDs to a driver...
>
> So unless somebody here raises an objection in the upcoming couple of
> days, I'll rip the ATI IDs off the server and put them in a file within
> the ati driver module. I may do a couple other drivers that I can build
> here while at it, though I'll let drivers authors deal with most of
> their babies.
No objections here. Being the one who added the PCI ids I found it
strange, too... The comments in that pci id file there suggested it's
needed for another module (pcidata), so I figured moving the IDs sounds
like trouble, and I really didn't want to create yet another list.
(Also, the comments there suggests I probably should have added the ids
to yet another list, that would be the 6th (!!!) one.)

Roland