modular vs. drivers & PCI IDs

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Mar 1 21:43:24 PST 2006

I just noticed that the radeon driver doesn't build unless you update
your server install (and the headers) because it uses a new PCI ID and
the PCI IDs file appears to be ... in the server (sic !)

I find that disturbing with modular that one has to update the server to
add PCI IDs to a driver...

So unless somebody here raises an objection in the upcoming couple of
days, I'll rip the ATI IDs off the server and put them in a file within
the ati driver module. I may do a couple other drivers that I can build
here while at it, though I'll let drivers authors deal with most of
their babies.

Ben.