rpath used in some libraries but not others

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Wed Mar 1 13:01:42 PST 2006

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

> >   SONAME      libXfontcache.so.1
> >   RPATH       /usr/lib/gcc34:/usr/lib
> >
> > versus:
> >
> >   SONAME      libXevie.so.1
> >   RPATH       /home/reed/xorg/lib:/usr/lib/gcc34:/usr/lib
> >
> > Notice the shared library runtime paths as shown above.
> >
> > Again the problem is that some libraries do not know where the shared
> > libraries are that they need. For example, Xorg doesn't work because
> > libXfont.so.1 can't find libfontenc.so.1.
>
> Not that I know whether I could help you (I still know very little about
> Xorg), but please specify the system this is on, the Libtool version
> used, and how the build tree was configured (so I can reproduce this).
>
> Please Cc: me on replies.

This is on DragonFly (i386) 1.5.0-DEVELOPMENT.

I am now testing with libtool 1.5.22 (from pkgsrc package
libtool-base-1.5.22nb2).

But now I see that rebuilding libXevie now that updated xorg CVS and
updating my libtool, the RPATH is not set for libXevie.so.1 anymore. In
fact, I don't have my Xorg lib directory in any of the now installed
RPATH's...

I think I was using pkgsrc package libtool-base-1.5.18nb4 before.

I might have a problem with my libtool itself.

Can anyone else please use objdump and look at your libXevie.so.1 and
libXfontcache.so.1 to see the RPATH? Thanks!

As for the build tree, I am using latest CVS head of xorg and using the
util/modular/build.sh script.

 Jeremy C. Reed

	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/