Improving Xorg

Frédéric L. W. Meunier lists2006 at pervalidus.net
Wed Jun 28 12:41:40 PDT 2006

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, conon wrote:

> While developers and packagers may love this format - others
> dont.

As an user, I didn't like it at first, because a 'make World'
with a customized host.def was really easier compared to
starting 7.1 from scratch, where I had to compile about 100
packages, in their right order, looking at each configure for
any hidden options (hopefully, for all I compiled, only libX11
and xorg-server had additional options), and so on. Not to
mention that I bet all configure runs alone take much longer
than a 'make depend'. Another problem was the lack of various
packages in the "7.1" directory, which I got from "individual".

But when I had it done, it was really easy to upgrade to newer
packages, released after 7.1, so I approve it.

--
How to contact me - http://www.pervalidus.net/contact.html