Hungarian layout problem with evdev driver

Zoltan Boszormenyi zboszor at dunaweb.hu
Tue Jun 27 01:06:43 PDT 2006

Hi,

I have a two-seat machine and until now, I used the "faketty"
kernel module ( http://www.ltn,.lv/~aivils/ ) that provides
fake tty device files for separate keyboard devices with
the "kbd" X driver, which configuration worked beautifully.

I wanted to try whether a stock system with the "evdev" X driver
can be used instead for the stock evdev kernel driver but I run
into a problem with the hungarian layout. I have specified this
section below for one of my keyboards:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard1"
        Driver      "evdev"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/event2"
#       Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "hu"
EndSection

The problem is twofold:
- when I don't specify the XkbModel option above
  then the "iacute" button lose function (however RightAlt+j
  and RightAlt+i give me iacute and Iacute, respectively.
- when I specify the XkbModel option above then the
  iacute button works but the RightAlt behaves as Enter.

The system is FC5 upgraded to latest erratas
(e.g. kernel-2.6.17-1.2139_FC5) with Xorg-7.1
from RawHide.

The options suggested by "man 4 evdev" (quoted below)
make no difference:

         Option "evBits"  "+1"
         Option "keyBits" "~1-255 ~352-511"
         Option "Pass"    "3"

Is there a solution where both my RightAlt and iacute
buttons work peacefully together?

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi