XAA vs. EXA in old hardware support

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Tue Jun 20 16:32:09 PDT 2006

On Tuesday 20 June 2006 17:15, Michael Lorenz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > Of course, trying again with current hardware would make sense; things
> > are different now.
>
> Hmm, I did some measurements as well ( previous post... ) and repeating
> the same tests on XFree86 4.5 showed a consistent, significant
> performance advantage for XFree86. About 10% in low level tests like
> line- and font drawing, about 20% in -map.

I've seen scattered reports of similar.  I'd love to see someone profile it
and find out exactly where we're spending our time.  The obvious first guess
is the extra GC wrap for the Damage extension; try turning it off and
measuring again.

Regarding the rest of the thread though, while it's completely plausible for
exa to decompose the rest of core X down to calls to the driver's Solid
routine - and in fact mi's span decomposition will do most of the work - it's
also still the case that the driver is just as capable of wrapping the GC and
accelerating rendering directly as it ever was.  exa has pretty decent
fallback debugging these days.  Build it, turn it on, and see what you
actually hit.

- ajax