Transparent toplevel using XShape: What about events?

Mon Jun 19 18:19:02 PDT 2006

Use an InputOnly window. InputOnly windows are transparent but can
intercept events. Depending on how you want to get the events you may
need to put the window in front of your shaped window or behind.

Also, have a look at the source for gromit, that may even save you
some coding.
http://gromit.klik.atekon.de/

Cheers,
   Peter