not possible to start two X servers, only the one launched later works

Stefan Dirsch sndirsch at suse.de
Sat Jun 3 08:12:46 PDT 2006

On Sat, Jun 03, 2006 at 10:56:24PM +0800, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> Hello. I just posted question about the problem of dual-head cannot
> initialize the second card. I just managed to make both video card work with
> two PCI slots (the bug Stefan mensioned also state it is problemaic to work
> with dual-head with one of the video card is on-board card).
>
> Currently both video card can work the same time with one single X server in
> xinerama style, I can move cursor from this screen to the other one just
> fine. My original purpose is to run one X server per card so that I can make
> 'multi-seat' host.
>
> I have two sets of keyboard/monitor/mouse attached. starting any of them
> works fine
> X -layout seat0 => result, the first set of keyboard/monitor/mouse works
> X -layout seat1 => result, the first set of keyboard/monitor/mouse works
>
> (seat0 is configured to work with a Voodoo Banshee card on the 2nd PCI slot)
> (seat1 is configured to work with a SiS 300 card on the 1st PCI slot)
>
> However, they don't work together. Examples: (KMV = Keyboard/Mouse/Video):
>
> ========== Start seat0 first ===========
> X :0 -layout seat0 => result, the first KMV works
> X :1 -layout seat1 => result, the second KMV works, the first KMV shows a
> text cursor (an underline) on the upper-left corner of screen and hang
> there, the process 'X :0' doesn't quit.
>
> ========== Start seat1 first ===========
> X :0 -layout seat1 => result, the second KMV works
> X :1 -layout seat0 => result, the first KMV works, the second KMV shows a
> irregular white band on the middle of the screen, taking up 1/3 of the
> screen heigh and fill the width, and keep flashing
>
> So, is this a novell bug too? (that way I go report it) This time I was
> using SuSE 10.0 and Xorg 6.8.2. I am happy to do an upgrade if that can
> solve the problem.

I don't think so. I never tried any multiseat setup, but IIRC you need
at least the "-sharevts" Xserver option.

Best regards,
Stefan

Public Key available
Stefan Dirsch (Res. & Dev.)   SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Tel: 0911-740 53 0            Maxfeldstraße 5
FAX: 0911-740 53 479          D-90409 Nürnberg
http://www.suse.de            Germany