not possible to start two X servers, only the one launched later works

Zhang Weiwu zhangweiwu at realss.com
Sat Jun 3 07:56:24 PDT 2006

Hello. I just posted question about the problem of dual-head cannot
initialize the second card. I just managed to make both video card work with
two PCI slots (the bug Stefan mensioned also state it is problemaic to work
with dual-head with one of the video card is on-board card).

Currently both video card can work the same time with one single X server in
xinerama style, I can move cursor from this screen to the other one just
fine. My original purpose is to run one X server per card so that I can make
'multi-seat' host.

I have two sets of keyboard/monitor/mouse attached. starting any of them
works fine
X -layout seat0 => result, the first set of keyboard/monitor/mouse works
X -layout seat1 => result, the first set of keyboard/monitor/mouse works

(seat0 is configured to work with a Voodoo Banshee card on the 2nd PCI slot)
(seat1 is configured to work with a SiS 300 card on the 1st PCI slot)

However, they don't work together. Examples: (KMV = Keyboard/Mouse/Video):

========== Start seat0 first ===========
X :0 -layout seat0 => result, the first KMV works
X :1 -layout seat1 => result, the second KMV works, the first KMV shows a
text cursor (an underline) on the upper-left corner of screen and hang
there, the process 'X :0' doesn't quit.

========== Start seat1 first ===========
X :0 -layout seat1 => result, the second KMV works
X :1 -layout seat0 => result, the first KMV works, the second KMV shows a
irregular white band on the middle of the screen, taking up 1/3 of the
screen heigh and fill the width, and keep flashing

So, is this a novell bug too? (that way I go report it) This time I was
using SuSE 10.0 and Xorg 6.8.2. I am happy to do an upgrade if that can
solve the problem.

--
Zhang Weiwu   Real Softservice
International business: http://www.realss.com