Switching Xserver from CVS to GIT?

Stefan Dirsch sndirsch at suse.de
Thu Jun 1 22:22:11 PDT 2006

On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 10:59:32PM -0600, Matthieu Herrb wrote:
> Keith Packard wrote:
> >Ok, 7.1 has shipped and I'd like to move the X server from CVS to the
> >GIT. Is there any particular process that people would like to see
> >followed? Any schedule? As far as I'm concerned, it's a brief process:
> >
> >	turn off CVS (make entire tree read-only).
> >
> >	convert tree (parsecvs is our friend)
> >
> >	export as GIT repository
> >
> >	stick warning signs in CVS repository, make it not build by default
> >
> >	done
> >
> >Given the experience we have with converting other repositories, I'd
> >like to know if there are other steps people would like to see in this
> >process.
> >
> >The sooner we do this, the more exposure developers will have before 7.2
> >ships. Say next week sometime?
>
> Would it be possible to add a XORG_7_1 tag to the CVS package whatever
> made it in the 7.1 tarball before the switch ?
>
> I think that, from a maintainance point of view, not having this tag
> will make things harder (ie question like "was this bug fixed in 7.1
> already ?")

BTW, I'm missing such a tag also for the other modules. This makes
checking out 7.1 or generating diffs against 7.1 nearly
impossible. :-(

Best regards,
Stefan

Public Key available
Stefan Dirsch (Res. & Dev.)   SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Tel: 0911-740 53 0            Maxfeldstraße 5
FAX: 0911-740 53 479          D-90409 Nürnberg
http://www.suse.de            Germany