Switching Xserver from CVS to GIT?

Matthieu Herrb matthieu.herrb at laas.fr
Thu Jun 1 21:59:32 PDT 2006

Keith Packard wrote:
> Ok, 7.1 has shipped and I'd like to move the X server from CVS to the
> GIT. Is there any particular process that people would like to see
> followed? Any schedule? As far as I'm concerned, it's a brief process:
>
> 	turn off CVS (make entire tree read-only).
>
> 	convert tree (parsecvs is our friend)
>
> 	export as GIT repository
>
> 	stick warning signs in CVS repository, make it not build by default
>
> 	done
>
> Given the experience we have with converting other repositories, I'd
> like to know if there are other steps people would like to see in this
> process.
>
> The sooner we do this, the more exposure developers will have before 7.2
> ships. Say next week sometime?

Would it be possible to add a XORG_7_1 tag to the CVS package whatever
made it in the 7.1 tarball before the switch ?

I think that, from a maintainance point of view, not having this tag
will make things harder (ie question like "was this bug fixed in 7.1
already ?")

Otherwise, that's fine with me.
--
Matthieu Herrb