Rant about ATI

Thiago Milczarek Sayão thiago.sayao at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 20:37:51 PDT 2006

The ATI driver release notes says:

This software driver provides 2D support only for the ATI Radeon® 9100
IGP and ATI Radeon® 9100 PRO IGP.

My laptop has an ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 IGP identified as RS300M which
is not and ATI 9100 IGP and not an ATI 9100 PRO IGP. So, i've been DAYS
trying to make this thing work. I've read tons and tons of HOW TO's and
forums etc..

Just i few hours ago i discovered that my Mobility 9000 IGP is also not
supported. They do a very dirty thing and replace the dri library file
with the "on_igp9x00_we_do_not_support_dri.so". Very very nasty.

Xorg.0.log reports:

(II) fglrx(0): [DRI] installation complete
(II) fglrx(0): Direct rendering enabled

which is NOT correct.

I'm posting this here because many people that own an Mobility radeon
9000 IGP can see that its also not supported.

Oh, and from the 8.27.10 driver release note:

The ATI Proprietary Linux driver is designed to support the following
ATI Integrated products:
Mobility™ Radeon® 9100 IGP series

Which of course, is a lie.

BTW, i've tried linking the atiogl_a_dri.so to
on_igp9x00_we_do_not_support_dri.so and glxinfo reports:

OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: MOBILITY RADEON 9000/9100 IGP Series DDR Generic
OpenGL version string: 1.3.1091 (X4.3.0-8.27.6)

But when i try to run fgl_glxgears or XGL, the machine doesn't respond.
I think it hangs when try to do anything related to pBuffers.