More advanced power savings (rev. the DPMS extension).

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Sat Jul 29 20:15:18 PDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-29 at 13:32 +0200, Egbert Eich wrote:
Egbert,

>  >
> The way I see it: when you can get all the information on the client
> side you don't have to add timeouts to the Xserver.
> You can have a client module that enacts a policy - getting the information
> from DAMAGE etc.
> This is by far more flexible than a stupid timeout layer in the Xserver.

If you turn off the GPU, you'd better have the X server involved, if you
want the GPU turned back on again....  You certainly won't like what
will happen if X tries to touch a GPU that has been powered down.

And I'm not comfortable with a situation if an external process screws
up that you end up with an unusable system.

Similarly for enabling/disabling video outputs.  Again, you can end up
with a dead screen.

So the X sever better be involved at some level.

                            Regards,
                                 - Jim

--
Jim Gettys