More advanced power savings (rev. the DPMS extension).

Egbert Eich eich at suse.de
Sat Jul 29 04:32:49 PDT 2006

Jim,

Jim Gettys writes:
 > Enscript is my friend...
 >
 > I've taken a quick look at FBPM: it doesn't seem to fully define the
 > semantics of what happens to the screen independently of the frame
 > buffer (since I can drive the screen independently of the frame buffer).

Your use case seems to be very special.
I'm not sure if this is considered by the FBPM specs.
As FBPM seems to go hand in hand with DPMS I kind of doubt it.
I've written an email on this to Jay to get some carification.

 > Also, I'd like to have the power control to be under timeouts in the X
 > server, so I'd like some way to set the timeouts when things go into
 > different states.  This is because the timings are potentially quite
 > short....

The way I see it: when you can get all the information on the client
side you don't have to add timeouts to the Xserver.
You can have a client module that enacts a policy - getting the information
from DAMAGE etc.
This is by far more flexible than a stupid timeout layer in the Xserver.

Cheers,
	Egbert.