mga driver / HALlib

Stefan Dirsch sndirsch at suse.de
Sat Jul 29 06:22:54 PDT 2006

On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 08:01:17PM +0200, Egbert Eich wrote:
> Ian Romanick writes:
>  >
>  > Stefan Dirsch wrote:
>  >
>  > > Sure. But here we're again at "* nobody cares enough". :-( What the
>  > > users usually see is the regression in the driver.
>  >
>  > A certain amount of this is actually on my todo list.  Is there a grand,
>  > unified list anywhere of exactly what features on which hardware
>  > currently require the use of mgahal?  The only thing that I know of is
>  > dual-head on G400 cards.  Is there more?
>
> I think that's it.
> As far as I know the HAL module is just needed for TV out on G400.
> It may handle macrovision - which could be the reason for it being
> closed.
> If we can get this stuff in nateivly we can nuke a bunch of code
> plus those ugly macros and workarounds we had to add to make this
> black box work.
>
>  >
>  > I tend to agree with the sentiment of gutting all the mgahal support
>  > from the driver.  Then we can gradually add the missing features back
>  > one at a time.
>
> I actually don't know if there are so many features that
> are missing. Stefan would probably know.

Alex already mentioned them:

- DVI (all)
- TV-out (all)
- dualhead (g400)
- mergedfb (all)

> As far as I rember
> - and sometimes my memory lies - SUSE only considers HAL
> for G400 anyway.

Initially yes, for dualhead support (see above). But mergedfb and DVI
is nowadays interesting as well. Especially DVI ...

Best regards,
Stefan

Public Key available
Stefan Dirsch (Res. & Dev.)   SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Tel: 0911-740 53 0            Maxfeldstraße 5
FAX: 0911-740 53 479          D-90409 Nürnberg
http://www.suse.de            Germany