Installing Xorg 7.0.0 from tarballs

Felix Kühling fxkuehl at gmx.de
Sun Jul 23 09:03:42 PDT 2006

Am Sonntag, den 23.07.2006, 00:47 -0400 schrieb Andrew Haninger:
> Hello.
>
> I've built and installed XFree86 in the past from both released
> tarballs and CVS repositories and I recently decided to try installing
> Xorg from tarballs. Luckily, I found that there are build scripts
> which attempt to simplify the process.
>
> I followed the instructions at
> <http://wiki.x.org/wiki/ModularDevelopersGuide> for building Xorg
> 7.0.0 from tarballs in individual directories (data, doc, driver,
> font, lib, ...). I used the command line:
>
> PATH=/usr/src/xorg/7.0.0/bin:$PATH ./build-from-tarballs.sh -m
> /usr/src/xorg/7.0.0/Mesa-6.4.2 /usr/src/xorg/7.0.0/modular > build.log
> 2>&1
>
> replacing /tmp/modular with the location where I wanted the build
> process to put the compiled files. After a couple (7) failed builds,
> one completed with:
>
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/xorg/7.0.0/util/lndir-X11R7.0-1.0.1'
> Sat Jul 22 21:49:14 EDT 2006
>
> which I took to mean that the build was successful.
>
> On the page linked above, there don't appear to be any instructions on
> how to install the built Xorg. If I need to "make install", I'm not
> sure where I need to go before doing it.
>
> I've been able to run Xorg successfully by moving my existing XFree86
> installation out of /usr/X11R6 and symlinking /usr/X11R6 to
> /usr/src/xorg/7.0.0/modular, but when I try to run Xorg as root and it
> uses its xinitrc at ./lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc, it fails when trying to
> run 'xterm' which doesn't appear to exist at all in the build produced
> with the above command line. If I run 'startx' as a normal user, I get
> the black-white stippled screen and "X" cursor, but my ~/.xinitrc
> doesn't appear to be used.
>
> Is there a recommended method of installing Xorg when it's been
> compiled from the tarballs and built with the build-from-tarballs.sh
> script? Am I reading the wrong documentation?

Hmm, I think you're misunderstanding how the build script works. I
builds _and_ installs at the same time. Each package is first built and
then installed. Subsequent packages rely on previous packages already
being installed. The installation destination is determined by the
prefix parameter you passed to the build script.

As to the xterm problem, xterm is no longer included in Xorg. Upstream
development of xterm has been outside Xorg for a long time (always?),
and in the modular age it doesn't make sense any more to replicate it in
Xorg.

I don't know where to get xterm, but the one that comes with your distro
is probably fine.

Regards,
  Felix

> Thanks.
>
> Andy

| Felix Kühling <fxkuehl at gmx.de>                     http://fxk.de.vu |
| PGP Fingerprint: 6A3C 9566 5B30 DDED 73C3  B152 151C 5CC1 D888 E595 |