prepare-Changelog.pl for git

Matthieu Herrb matthieu.herrb at laas.fr
Sun Jul 16 11:13:57 PDT 2006

Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> Matthieu Herrb wrote:
>>> BTW, I just added another fix to this rule courtesy of Aaron Plattner,
>>> so make sure you pull the latest stuff before copying it.
>>>
>> The rule used in many commited Makefile.am doesn't work if building with
>> builddir != srcdir. I'd suggest to use:
>>
>> ChangeLog:
>>     GIT_DIR=${srcdir}/.git git-log > ChangeLog
>
> Is that a relevant use case?

Yes. In order to be able to share sources between different arches, I
never build inside $src, and thus I never have a Makefile in $srcdir.

> It only matters when running 'make
> distcheck' which automatically does a builddir != srcdir build already.

In fact I was only thinking (and testing) about 'make dist'.
Trying again with distcheck, my solution doesn't work, since the
distcheck target will point $srcdir to the test dir which doesn't
contain the .git directory.

Alan Coopersmith's solution in x11proto will work if $builddir is a sub
directory of $srcdir, but this is not general enough imho.

So a better way to do that is needed. Maybe distcheck sets a variable
that still points to the real srcdir ?
--
Matthieu Herrb