Possible mouse mapping architecture quad-mesh -> quad-mesh transformations?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Jul 7 02:18:45 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 10:13 +0100, Felix Bellaby wrote:

> Have you considered glRenderMode (GL_SELECT) in this discussion ?
>
> When the transformed desktops is drawn by texture mapping GL polygons
> within a compositor then it should be fairly simple to identify which
> polygon is drawn at the mouse location. After you have that info then
> working out which point on the texture underlies the mouse is just a
> matter of linear interpolation. The point on the texture can be passed
> to the application owning the relevent window as the location of the
> mouse.

I think this is essentially what I was proposing; treat the screen as a
polygonal mesh and map each polygon back to a polygon within a specific
window. Use the implicit projective transformation given by those two
polygons to interpolate the position within the window.

I'm hoping to get a chance to prototype this after I'm done updating
RandR; it sure seems like it should work for our current 3D windowing
environments.

keith.packard at intel.com