Possible mouse mapping architecture quad-mesh -> quad-mesh transformations?

Felix Bellaby felix at bellaby.plus.com
Fri Jul 7 02:13:29 PDT 2006

Keith Packard wrote:
> We've explored a number of possible architectures to handle the mapping
> of mouse coordinates in a transformed desktop environment. The constant
> assumption in each of these architectures has been that a user
> application must be involved in the transformation. My recent paper on
> the topic dismissed the possibility of placing the transformation inside
> the X server.

Have you considered glRenderMode (GL_SELECT) in this discussion ?

When the transformed desktops is drawn by texture mapping GL polygons
within a compositor then it should be fairly simple to identify which
polygon is drawn at the mouse location. After you have that info then
working out which point on the texture underlies the mouse is just a
matter of linear interpolation. The point on the texture can be passed
to the application owning the relevent window as the location of the
mouse.

Felix