i810 problem with external montior

Barry Scott barry.scott at onelan.co.uk
Thu Jul 6 02:49:26 PDT 2006

Rene Rebe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wednesday 05 July 2006 19:15, Barry Scott wrote:
>

>> kmand wrote:
>>
>>> I'm running Xorg 6.9 on Suse 10.1 on a Fujitsu Lifebook S7000 with a
>>>
>>>  Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller rev
>>> 3,
>>>
>>> I want to use the external VGA port at 1280x768. I can use the FN-F10 to
>>> nicely switch from the laptops 1024x768 LCD to the external monitor, but no
>>> matter what I have tried with xorg.conf I'm limited to the three vesa built
>>> in resolutions of 1024x768, 800x600, and 640x480.
>>>
>>> One thing I notice in the log is
>>>
>>> (II) I810(0): Display Info: CRT: attached: TRUE, present: TRUE, size:
>>> (1024,768)
>>>
>>> which is not correct, and I wonder if thats the limitation.
>>>
>>> Suggestions?
>>>

>> The i810 driver does not support 1280x768 yet. The developers are adding
>> support
>> for the next(?) Xorg release. There is a modesetting branch in git with
>> the new code
>> on it.
>>

> Current release driver supports what the BIOS table contains. One
> can patch the mode into the BIOS table using the 915resolution hack.

This does not work for 1280x768. The refresh rate is set to 52.03Hz instead
of 60Hz. This prevents a lot of panels from locking on. It also causes xine
(ffmpeg?) to use a lot more CPU time to play back movies, I assume because
its having to compensate for the error in the timing ( X says its 60Hz, but
real world is 52Hz).

Barry